Friday, January 26, 2007

The Gospel of Wealth

I reject the Gospel of Wealth and any and all adherents and illusions thereto.


Now before anyone gets confused, lemme explain. The Gospel of Wealth was a little (big) essay that Andrew Carnegie wrote back when he was alive that said alot of things. One, that a rich man's duty before God was to make the world a better place. This is a great idea. However, no one followed it, not even Carnegie. Sure, he built hospitals and libraries, but he was also notoriously ruthless in his dealings with workers.

Carnegie had some great ideas about what to do with wealth, unfortunately, he lived by the motto that the ends justify the means. He thought that what he did with his money at the end of his life would make up for how he got it to begin with. I don't think this works. Lying, cheating, and stealing do not a Godly business make, no matter how much of the profits go to the church or missions or the poor.

I think Jesus was right when he said it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Not because it rich people find it hard to be believers, but because I think believers find it hard to be rich. Every one of the more wealthy people I've met all have the same attitude about money. God gave it to me, God has blessed me, it's mine. I have never known any wealthy believers who lived humbly, though I know that some do exist. The quickest way to find out is by the car. Toyota or Lexus, Honda or Porsche, Ford or BMW. I'm not saying it is wrong to have money or a nice car. I'm just saying, I have never known anyone who has simultaneously presented a positive Christian life, lived humbly, and gave generously. The best I've seen is two out of the three, and usually only one in my opinion.

The wealthier men I have been close to present a nice face at church and around town, but often use foul language. Have great business, but have a few small hidden shady business practices. Throw money around like everyone has it. Drive fast in fast expensive cars. But the thing that bugs me the most is that it appears that they think their opinion is worth more than yours. Why do people not realize that they are no better than you, they just have more money.

God doesn't truly bless people with money, I believe he truly blesses them with contentment.

I am disgusted with myself for even writing this but it just bugs me so much. I'll admit, I may just be writing these things out of jealously. But, I have heard it so many times that God gives wealth to his people, and I just don't think this is true. God gives rest and contentment to his people. He gives them peace, not money. He gives money to some to be given to others, and he gives money to the wicked to prove his point that money is the root of all kinds of evil.

So what do I do with money? I really have no idea, but I know what not to do with it.
WiredForStereo

No comments: