Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Total Depravity of the Human Soul

One of the main tenets of Christianity is the total depravity of the human. We are bad, therefore needing saving, or something like that, I over simplify. There seem to be a lot of critics of newer church movements who complain that things like the Cross of Christ and Total Depravity of Man are not things that are taught often.


I agree. But the question to me is...so?

Friday nights when I go to Encounter and have some prayer time, these things do not concern me. Why? I know I am depraved. I know Jesus died for me. These are not things I need to be preached at me every Sunday. I am there to lay on my face and cry out to God that I suck and that I need help. The great thing: I'm not the only one there for the same purpose.

I think many of us in the younger Christian crowd are wandering around looking for a challenge. I think the newer philosophies of some churches give us that challenge, a challenge to be better stewards of our planet, to be vivacious supporters of God's work on our little blue dot, and to be joyful in all our circumstances. Anybody who reads the Bible will know why Christ came and what he did. It's clearly stated a plethora of times.

I doubt there are many who truly study the Bible and seek to understand it who are ever led astray. We were given the word for a reason. The only ones who will be led astray are those who only listen for the words, not the message. Those will be lost who read only the passages they think pertain to them, the wealth passages, the blessing passages, and not the persecution and poverty passages. One only needs to be an open minded thoughtful student of the Living Word. The Spirit can fill in the blanks.

There is no new Gospel anyway. "There is nothing new under the sun." Ecc. 1:9

Peace be with you.
WiredForStereo

No comments: