Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Secular Rap and Hip-Hop, Unacceptable

I was thinkin' up lesson plans for my young charges for my senior high summer small group, and I got to thinking about what music we listen to.

Music is one of the best ways to remember things. Think of how many Bible verses or famous quotations you know. Now turn on the radio and see how many songs you can sing along with.

Point.

So, since all these things are filling the memory space in our mind, what does that that do to us? The Bible says "I will put no evil before my eyes." Why? Because as the Bible also says, by beholding be become changed. The same goes for listening. If you listen to rhetoric of any kind all day long, unless you are vehemently opposed to it, you will start to believe it. That's why I try to limit my talk radio exposure. I don't agree with most of what they say, but I do agree with some. Unfortunately, with increased exposure, I start to get into it, start to feel it, start to agree with points of view that in my own mind disgust me.

So the things we put in come back out. At some point, the media, music, entertainment, and speech we put into our mind will affect us, change our beliefs, and therefore cause us to act in accordance. And this is what I was thinking about: If all you fill your mind with is filth, next time when you go looking around in there during an important conversation or debate, all you'll find is filth.

The filth in music is as bad as usual, and in some cases, more so. While some denigrate women, others praise it as empowering. Violence is praised. Sex is idolized. And I must make a specific point here, it's not the music, I am not downing rock and roll or "the devil's beat," what I am talking about is the words. I'll tell you right now, I love hard rock, rock rap, hip hop and such, but it's the words that are the important thing. I listen to Christian music of the genres above. On the best day, it's positive and uplifting, pointing me toward God, and on the worst day, it's obscenity free good music.

Here's the kicker, any style you can find in secular music, you can find in Christian music, only without the filth. My favorite? Thousand Foot Krutch.

WiredForStereo

No comments: