Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sam's Club Carries LED's!!!

Praise the Lord, the LED's have made it to the mainstream market. Sam's now has them on the lightbulb aisle. I only show one kind here, but there are other ones, including flood style lights.




Here's a closeup of the bulb. These are candle style bulbs, the kind all our ceiling fans take.


They do not have the all around brightness that incandescents or CFL's have, they are directional.








That means as you can see here, relatively little of the light needs to be reflected off the ceiling.







A closeup of the bulb in action. Most of the light here is being directed out the center of the bulb and not radially into the camera lens.






This is what it looks like when you are more in the direction of the beam.








Super closeup lit.


I hope most of you know what LEDs are all about by now, but if you don't here's the skinny. LEDs use less energy than CFLs and last ten times longer. Until recently, that has meant that they cost ten times as much, but three of these candle bulbs cost about $15 which is around two to three times the cost of CFLs. They are directional which means they waste less light, but it also means that you'll have to change your way of thinking about lightbulbs because these won't flood your world like other bulbs. I like them because our ceiling fan is in the center of the room and our old bulbs caused a glare off the TV. These ones don't.

Because of the directionality, you can live with much lower wattage. The ceiling fan in the living room is made for four 75 watt candle style bulbs. I have been using two 9 watt CFLs. I now use three (four one day) 1.5 watt LED bulbs. That means I'm using 6% of what incandescents would use. When I add the fourth bulb some day, I'll still only be using a grand ol' 6 watts of power to light the living room. The problem is, I'm still a stickler for turning the lights off.

These LED's are supposed to last 100,000 hours. That's 11.4 years straight through. If I use the bulb 5 hours a day (could be typical in the winter) conceivably, I won't have to change the bulb until I'm 80 years old.

I think that's enough info for now, my brain just blew a fuse.

WiredForStereo

No comments: