Friday, March 23, 2007

The Question of the Stove.

I found this really neat website today whilst searching for information on what was more efficient and useful, an electric range or a gas one. It provides a good comparison between types.


As you know, I am against the use of natural gas, propane, and other fossil fuels because of sustainability issues, and the property I am looking at has no gas line service, but I was wondering if just for the time being would it be more economical to use a propane tank with a gas range.

Question no longer. Yes, for a stove top, gas is slightly cheaper, but only in the range of less than $2 per month. On the other hand, an electric oven is more economical than a gas one. I think the difference lies in the fact that an electric oven is more or less air tight while a gas oven must be ventilated in order for there to be flame. Either way, the difference in cost is negligible, and I'd honestly rather pay a little more to keep combustion byproducts out of my home.

It all trickles back in to the point that I can make electricity, but I cannot make propane. Additionally, my power prices (with line fees and taxes and pork) are around 11 cents per kWh and propane is in the range of 2 to 3 dollars a gallon, so you can see the dilemma. At least, I think I see it.

Anyway, I am standing by my convictions and going with an electric range.

WiredForStereo

No comments: