Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Collateral Damage

Take a few minutes and read this story.


If you still think that war is a good idea, you need to have your head checked.

This is why war, any war is a bad idea. Have you ever listened to the news or read a news story and were angered to the point of trembling? I have, in fact it happens more than I'd like to admit. But do I jump on the "kill the terrorists" bandwagon?

No, I don't.

Do you know why?

Because I will always stand by the Biblical principle that revenge is never ok. I believe in discipline and punishment, but I will never support revenge.

Do you want some dirt on me? 9/11 happened at the beginning of my senior year in high school. A girl I rode the bus with was in the journalism class that wrote the school newspaper. Naturally, there were more than a few stories related to the then recent happenings. She saw me in the library one day and asked if I'd like to comment on what had happened. I was at the time naturally angry at what had happened and I was quoted as saying that we should get revenge on whoever had committed the atrocity.

I was wrong.

Dead wrong. I realize that now. But now, I don't think that I was a real Christian at that time. Raised Christian yes, but did I know Jesus? Did I know Jesus' will then? No. I think I know better now, and that's what I am standing for now. Jesus said two swords were enough for 12 people. Just enough for defense, not nearly enough for an attack. I think Jesus made a pretty clear point there. He equipped 12 people to spread the gospel, but he only gave two of them swords. Kinda like having two ears but only one mouth, only more so don't you think?

And he gave us hearts to care. So let's feed our enemies if they are hungry, and pray for those who persecute us. Let's do as we would like done to us. It may sound soft, but it taps into the greatest power in the universe.


WiredForStereo

No comments: