Saturday, February 6, 2010

One Curse

I was coming home from Encounter this evening, and I heard on the radio a news story about Afghan police accidently killing seven civilians who were just out collecting fire wood.  Now I'm loathe to actually let these words escape my mouth but...

God damn it.

God damn war.

God damn violence.

God damn it, God damn every bit of it.

God damn countries that start wars.

God damn world leaders who wreak of death and destruction.

God damn those who kill or cause to be killed people who are innocent.

I don't use these words as simple obscenity.  I'm not screaming them after smashing my finger with a hammer, I am legitimately calling down a curse from God.  I hurt on the inside about people on the other side of the world who are dying pointlessly.  And there's nothing I can do about it.  So I use my influence with God to call down curses on the people who kill the innocent and the poor.

I call down a curse on my own country for being responsible for murdering countless thousands over the past 250 years because of its greed and bigotry.  America is not blessed, it's cursed.  Our culture is responsible for the destruction of Native American culture and lives.  We were responsible for disgusting wars.  We were responsible for racism, lynchings, carpet bombing, chemical warfare, and the deaths of brown people the world over.  You know, when I heard Jeremiah Wright's tirade when he said "God damn America," I didn't see what the big deal was.  He was making a valid point, and one that I agree with.

Because it's not a curse word, it's a curse.
WiredForStereo

No comments: